Confd behaviour for stats display based on yang implementation?

Hi Team,

Please help with this:

I have written a yang for my stats display(attached YANG file)
My command is ā€œshow nbase statistics vrf <vrf_name>ā€
I have to implement a process which upon request provides stats values to confd to display.
When I apply above command I would like to know how confd reacts for values(get_elem, get_next ā€¦), based on that I am planning to proceed further.

Thanks,
Kamal

Hello, I suggest you look at chapter 6.6 and 6.7 of ConfD user guide.
You can also look at confd_lib)dp man page (or in ConfD User Guide) and read description of data provider callbacks in:

struct confd_data_cbs

Generally, you should implement get_elem and get_next callbacks and then you can add
get_object, get_next_object, find_next, ā€¦ for performance optimization, if needed.

Can I implement my process with get_elem() alone ?

Hello,

we cannot see the attached yang file - not sure how the model looks.

In general, which callbacks are invoked by ConfD is defined ā€œinternallyā€ in the ConfD processes, and depends on both yang model structure, and which callpoint callbacks are registered/missing.

General recommendations and use-cases of the specific callbacks are described in the user guide sections that Michal recommended above.

E.g. if you donā€™t have any lists in the yang model, get_elem() could be sufficient without any other callbacksā€¦
When you have lists in the data model, then get_next() is needed, or the get_next_object() - to allow iteration of the keys of the listā€¦ (get_elem() cannot do that), etcā€¦

Here is my yang model:

/* Nbase statistics show module */
module router-nbase-newscope {
    // imports, namespaces, etc...

/*NBase Statitics Show commands */
    augment /router-dcl:filter-views {
        container vrf-lim-debug-stats{
                config false;
                tailf:callpoint router-nbase-stats;
                list vrf {
                        key vrf-name;
                        leaf vrf-name {
                                type string {
                                        length "1..64";
                                }
                                tailf:info "<vrf-name> vrf name for displaying the details";
                        }
                        leaf intf_add_success{
                                type uint32;
                        }
                        // ... other leaf elements here...
              }
      }
   }
}

edited by josephm - shortened yang module to show only imporant structureā€¦

looking into model, as i stated in my response shortly above, you will need not only get_elem(), but also one of the ā€œnextā€ callbacks because of the list vrf in your model.

either get_next() - it should be bit more easy than the more complex - get_next_object() (which is, on the other hand, more performance enhancing in some casesā€¦).

Of course, if you implement both, you will have even better coverage for good performance - next_object() being called by confd when all data is displayed, next() when only keys are needed for some reasonā€¦

The above explanation satisfied my requirement.
I will look into chapter 6.6 and 6.7 of ConfD user guide as mentioned above.
Would like to continue this thread if I get more doubts.

Thanks,
Kamal

I have implemented my application using get_elem() & get_next().
When I apply :show nbase statistics vrf vrf_name" all the values are displayed on terminal.

But, from the logs I can see get_next() not invoked at all.

From the cli when I provide a vrf name that doesnā€™t exist then I am validating this and calling confd_data_reply_not_found(tctx) followed by return CONFD_OK, on the terminal I can see some undefined output & from the logs I can see get_next() invoked by confd.

I am not sure what is happening. Please clarify this.

struct confd_data_cbs nbase_ldp_statistics_cbs = {
.callpoint = router_nbase_newscope__callpointid_router_nbase_stats,
.get_elem = router_nbase_stats_get_elem,
.get_next = router_nbase_stats_get_next
};

int register_providers(struct confd_daemon_ctx *dctx)
{
ā€¦

&nbase_ldp_statistics_cbs,
ā€¦

}

Hi Team,

What could be the solution for above problem ?
Kindly help solving this error.

Thanks,
Kamal

I have implemented my application using get_elem() & get_next().
When I apply :show nbase statistics vrf vrf_name" all the values are displayed on terminal.
But, from the logs I can see get_next() not invoked at all.

that is probably expected - get_next() invocation is not necessary when showing data from specific table list entry

From the cli when I provide a vrf name that doesnā€™t exist then I am validating this and calling confd_data_reply_not_found(tctx) followed by return CONFD_OK, on the terminal I can see some undefined output & from the logs I can see get_next() invoked by ConfD.

This can be caused by various reasons - Iā€™m not sure what do you mean by undefined output - this can be caused by other calls to leaf elements returned with non-terminated strings or binary data, etc.
When displaying model, there can be many subsequent calls to data provider - so without logs and reproduction scenario itā€™s hard to give further tips on which specifically provided ā€œwrongā€ dataā€¦
(are there e.g. any messages in ConfDā€™s devel.log)?

This may need raising issue with ConfD support.

Please find info requested:

pl-ipfe-1_3_0# show nbase statistics vrf testtest
Error: application communication failure

System message at 2016-11-29 08:25:16...
    Subsystem stopped: nbase-confd-thread
pl-ipfe-1_3_0# Maximum number of reconnects reached, Tecla (nbase-stub) will exit!
pl-ipfe-1_3_0# pl-ipfe-1_3_0# 
System message at 2016-11-29 08:25:20...
Commit performed by system via tcp using system.
pl-ipfe-1_3_0# low level NBASE daemon has reconnected!pl-ipfe-1_3_0# 
System message at 2016-11-29 08:25:20...
    Subsystem started: nbase-confd-thread
pl-ipfe-1_3_0# 

[root@pl-ipfe-1_3_0 log]# tail -f devel.log
<ERR> 29-Nov-2016::08:25:15.987 pl-ipfe-1_3_0 confd[3888]: devel-c get_next error {external, ""} for callpoint 'router-nbase-stats' path /router-dcl:filter-views/vrf-lim-debug-stats/vrf
<ERR> 29-Nov-2016::08:25:15.988 pl-ipfe-1_3_0 confd[3888]: devel-c action command() error {external, ""} for callpoint show_nbase_statistics
<ERR> 29-Nov-2016::08:25:16.001 pl-ipfe-1_3_0 confd[3888]: confd external error when executing action application communication failure

(edited by josephm - formatted the console text)

Error: application communication failure
System message at 2016-11-29 08:25:16ā€¦
Subsystem stopped: nbase-confd-thread

This suggests thereā€™s some error in the application - and detailed debugging is out of scope of this forum (application logs / source code needed, investigating the reason of app terminationā€¦).

If needed, please raise an issue via your support channel or create a more specific question in new discuss forum ticket.

Any comments on this:

[root@pl-ipfe-1_3_0 log]# tail -f devel.log
29-Nov-2016::08:25:15.987 pl-ipfe-1_3_0 confd[3888]: devel-c get_next error {external, ā€œā€} for callpoint ā€˜router-nbase-statsā€™ path /router-dcl:filter-views/vrf-lim-debug-stats/vrf
29-Nov-2016::08:25:15.988 pl-ipfe-1_3_0 confd[3888]: devel-c action command() error {external, ā€œā€} for callpoint show_nbase_statistics
29-Nov-2016::08:25:16.001 pl-ipfe-1_3_0 confd[3888]: confd external error when executing action application communication failure

as the error message states - it looks like something went ā€œwrongā€ in the registered callbacks and/or other parts of the process executed in the callback implementation - but without the actual app (source/logs) we cannot debug what specifically

One extra thing that you can try is enabling the ConfD error log in confd.conf/dynamic configuration model (depending on what you use) - <errorLog> in <logs>, and see if it gets some info after error is printed in cliā€¦

In shell, you can try printing contents of binary error log using confd command - "confd --printlog FILENAME"

The issue has been solved. Thank you guys for your valuable support. :slight_smile: