How to receive subscription notifications towards the operational data in CDB?

It is often times useful for your application to be notified upon changes in the operational data that are being stored in CDB.

Given the following simple YANG model:

module server {

namespace "http://tail-f.com/ns/example/server";
  prefix sv;

container server {
    leaf oper-status {
      type enumeration {
        enum up;
        enum down;
      }
      config false;
    }
  }
}

In order for subscription notifications to be generated, a “subscription lock” has to be obtained during the CDB write call as follows:

if ((subsock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) < 0 )
        confd_fatal("Failed to open socket\n");

if (cdb_connect(subsock, CDB_DATA_SOCKET, (struct sockaddr*)&addr,
                      sizeof (struct sockaddr_in)) < 0)
        return CONFD_ERR;
    if (cdb_start_session2(subsock, CDB_OPERATIONAL, CDB_LOCK_REQUEST | CDB_LOCK_WAIT) != CONFD_OK)
        return CONFD_ERR;
    cdb_set_namespace(subsock, sv__ns);

confd_value_t status_value;
    CONFD_SET_ENUM_VALUE(&status_value, sv_up);

if (cdb_set_elem(subsock, &status_value, "/server/oper-status") != CONFD_OK)
        return CONFD_ERR;

cdb_close(subsock);

Following is what needs to be done in order to subscribe to the CDB operational data subscription:

if ((subsock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) < 0 )

if (cdb_connect(subsock, CDB_SUBSCRIPTION_SOCKET, (struct sockaddr*)&addr,
    confd_fatal("Failed to cdb_connect() to confd \n");

int spoint;

if ((status = cdb_oper_subscribe(subsock, sv__ns, &spoint, "/server/oper-status"))
    != CONFD_OK) {
    fprintf(stderr, "Terminate: subscribe %d\n", status);
    exit(0);
}

if (cdb_subscribe_done(subsock) != CONFD_OK)
    confd_fatal("cdb_subscribe_done() failed");

In order to manually trigger the subscription without actually changing the state of the operational data, you can do the following:

if ((rsock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) < 0 )

if (cdb_connect(rsock, CDB_DATA_SOCKET, (struct sockaddr*)&addr,
    return CONFD_ERR;

int sub_points[0];

if ((cdb_trigger_oper_subscriptions(rsock, sub_points, 0, 0) != CONFD_OK)) {
    return CONFD_ERR;
}
cdb_close(rsock);

It is important to note that the cdb_trigger_oper_subscriptions() call is blocking and doesn’t return until all subscribers have acknowledged the notification. This means that it is not possible to issue the cdb_trigger_oper_subscriptions() call in a cdb subscriber process (without forking a process or spawning a thread) since it would cause a deadlock.

Hello, I have a below sceneriao.

1. I have address entry in the schema where fqdn gets resolved at the run-time (which means ip-address is writable operational-data.

2. I wish to have a subscriber get a subscribe notification so that I can process it as a config-diff rather than as operational diff.

3. By iterating this diff, i will create a netconf-patch (edit-config) and will apply this patch to the basic-confd running remotely.

So basically, i want to receive all writable-operational updates as config-updates for that address object.

Is it possible to get config-updates for writable operational data and then apply this as patch to the remote basic-confd client ? Or the remote will reject it since it won’t allow edit-config operational on that writable operational data.