ConfD Premium no longer available? Future of ConfD?

Hi guys,

I spoke with one of the ConfD reps who said ConfD Premium was no longer being offered and that no paid support for the product was available.

We were looking at ConfD as well as other alternatives for our NETCONF service, including rolling our own implementation. Just wondering what Cisco’s plan for ConfD is.

Would hate to spend a bunch of developer time building a solution only for Cisco to pull the rug on this project, especially as it appears only the core confd binary is freely distributed, but not the source code. Only code i’ve seen are for examples on how to integrate with ConfD.

Your first sentence answers the question which you are asking.

ConfD Basic 8.0.x is the last branch being released. ConfD Basic should not be used for new projects. ConfD Basic will be going away.

Hey thanks for this information jlawitzke. This is good to know.

I thought Cisco purchased tail-f to acquire NETCONF capabilities for their platforms and that all existing NETCONF capabilities on Cisco products was a result of this acquisition. It’s interesting that Cisco would take the product in this direction.

Unfortunate. I was very excited about what I saw from the product.

If this is the case, do you have any other recommend NETCONF server implementations you recommend? We are trying to shorten developer time.

Hi, there is another commercial vendor, www.yumaworks.com, that has been around for quite some time, has lots of features and offers technical support and source code too.

HTH.

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding ConfD. Greatly appreciate it if someone could help answer these.

1. Is ver 8.0.12 the LAST version of ConfD (ie. no more releases of ConfD).?

2. Since ConfD Premium has been EOLd, has ConfD been absorbed in other products? such as NSO?

3. I8.0.12 is the Basic version of ConfD and there are no Premium versions available… Does that mean that we can use 8.0.12 in production software? Can we use the CLIs too in the production version?

Thank you so much,
-Vittal

We have discontinued sales of ConfD Premium. As a result, ConfD Basic will also be going away. New use of ConfD Basic in projects is highly discouraged. The currently available 8.0.x branch is the last branch which is being released for both ConfD Premium and ConfD Basic. ConfD Basic maintenance releases addressing major bugs are being made approximately quarterly. The last maintenance release will be released in 2025. No new features, enhancements, or minor bug fixes are being made.

ConfD Basic license allows only for the use of NETCONF in production. The ConfD Basic CLI may only be used during development and may not be exposed for use in production.

Do not use ConfD Basic in new projects.

Hi, The Confd documentation and training videos (Training Videos - ConfD - Cisco DevNet) are very helpful. Will they still be maintained in the future?