ConfD User Community

Why the relative path which reference the nodes in other module doesn't work?

I made two modules, one is

module try-leafref-original {
  namespace "http://tail-f.com/ns/example/try-leafref-original";
  prefix try-leafref-original;

import tailf-common {
    prefix tailf;
  }

list original-list {
    key my-leaf;
    leaf my-leaf {
      type string;
    }
  }
} 

Another module is

module try-leafref {
  namespace "http://tail-f.com/ns/example/try-leafref";
  prefix try-leafref;

import tailf-common {
    prefix tailf;
  }

import try-leafref-original {
    prefix aaa;
  }

list reflist {
    key ref-leaf;
    leaf ref-leaf {
      type leafref {
        path "../../aaa:original-list/aaa:my-leaf";  // relative path compilation fail, but absolute path works
      }
    }
  }
}

If I use absolute path “/aaa:original-list/aaa:my-leaf”, the compilation passed without any issue. But since I changed to relative path, the compilation fail with error
error: the node ‘original-list’ from module ‘try-leafref-original’ is not found

So refering the relative path from other module is not supported ?
My confd version is 6.6.1

Thanks.

I can see the same behavior. ../../ in your case should reference root node, so I guess this may be error. Is there any reason you have to use relative paths?

I think “…/…/” doesn’t have to reference the root node. Since module try-leafref-original and module try-leafref are in the same level in schema tree, then the relative path “”…/…/aaa:original-list/aaa:my-leaf"" will reference the node “my-leaf” inside module try-leafref-original.

The reason I have to use the relative path is I will grouping both “try-leafref-original” and “try-leafref” and reference these two groupings in multiple places. So the absolute path won’t work, I have to use relative path.

What I meant that ../../ (in your example) goes to the root, where all namespaces should be mounted.
It’s still not fully clear to me why in you scenario you just cannot start from root (/) as XPATH contains full namespace and top element of try-leafref-original module. Event for grouping this should work (unless you have more complicated scenario than in the example).

Ok, the use case is like this

module try-leafref-original {
  namespace "http://tail-f.com/ns/example/try-leafref-original";
  prefix try-leafref-original;

import tailf-common {
    prefix tailf;
  }
 grouping try-leafref-original {
  list original-list {
    key my-leaf;
    leaf my-leaf {
      type string;
    }
  }
 }
using  try-leafref-original;
} 

module try-leafref {
  namespace "http://tail-f.com/ns/example/try-leafref";
  prefix try-leafref;

import tailf-common {
    prefix tailf;
  }

import try-leafref-original {
    prefix aaa;
  }
grouping try-leafref {
  list reflist {
    key ref-leaf;
    leaf ref-leaf {
      type leafref {
        path "../../aaa:original-list/aaa:my-leaf";  // relative path compilation fail, but absolute path works
      }
    }
  }
}
using  try-leafref;
} 

module try-systems {
  list systems {
      key name;
      container system {
          using try-leafref-original;
          using try-leafref;
      }  
  }
}

Then I compiled try-systems.yang, try-leafref-original.yang, and try-leafref.yang.
Now you can see what I mean “reference these two groupings in multiple places”. But I will always keep these two groupings in the same level when they are referenced.

Whether this example is clear for you to understand why I have to use relative path ?

Thank for more detailed example. As I also assume this should work, I have filled report with question to ConfD developers (ref. 21531). As this is only user-to-user forum, you need to contact Tail-f support if you want to assign priority to it. I’ll try to post information here, if possible.

I’m afraid the more detailed example doesn’t actually show why you would want to use a relative path - the relative path “…/…/aaa:original-list/aaa:my-leaf” can, even if it worked, only ever refer to the expanded try-leafref-original grouping at the uses (not using) in module try-leafref-original, just like the absolute path “/aaa:original-list/aaa:my-leaf” does.

The expansion of the try-leafref-original grouping in module try-systems won’t even have the prefix “aaa” unless you define that prefix also for try-systems, which would be extremely confusing - groupings take on the namespace/prefix of the module where the uses is.

Bottom line, a relative path “through the root” to another module can’t buy you anything that the corresponding absolute path can’t - it can only be less useful, since it would only work when the uses is at a specific level in the module.

Hi per,

Thanks for reply.

But I have a question, in my example, what I should do in the path in order to make leafref works when the grouping inside a module be “uses” in multiple places ?

Absolute path “/original-list/my-leaf” in “module try-systems” will not work since it refers the wrong “my-leaf”. It refers “my-leaf” under /original-list/my-leaf/. But I want to refer the “my-leaf” node under /systems/system/original-list/my-leaf/

I’m sorry, but I don’t think there exists a way to achieve that.