ConfD User Community

Yang compilation fails

Hi, I am getting the following error on compilation:

eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang:56: error: the type leafref (defined at ./ietf-interfaces.yang:54) is converted to 'string' when part of a union

The following are the related yang files:

ietf-interfaces.yang

typedef interface-ref {
    type leafref {
      path "/if:interfaces/if:interface/if:name";
    }

eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang

typedef lif-type {
                 type union {
                            type if:interface-ref;
                            type string ;  
                            }
                     }  

What is the issue here?
Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

It’s actually a warning, but I guess you use --fail-on-warnings, which is generally a Good Idea™.

You have encountered one of the exceptions in the YANG 1.1 support - from the “YANG 1.1” section of the confdc(1) manual page:

o   Type leafref in unions are not validated, and treated as a string
    internally.

(In YANG 1, type leafref is not allowed to be part of a union.)

You can prevent the warning from becoming an error when you use --fail-on-warnings by passing -W YANG_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE_IN_UNION to confdc, or you can suppress even the warning by passing -w YANG_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE_IN_UNION.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I added this -W YANG_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE_IN_UNION to confdcbut it not work. The compilation failed with the same error.

I also removed --fail-on-warnings and yet got the same message.
Doesn’t this mean that it is an error and not warning?

How should I approach this issue?

Thanks,
Ramakrishnan

I’m afraid you must be making some mistake when changing the compilation options - maybe you have some generic make target that is applied? I verified what I wrote before posting - here it is, where I faked your eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang module as containing only the typedef, and used ietf-interfaces revision 2014-05-08:

$ confdc -c eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang
eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang:12: warning: the type leafref (defined at ./ietf-interfaces@2014-05-08.yang:54) is converted to 'string' when part of a union
$ echo $?
$ confdc -c --fail-on-warnings eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang
eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang:12: error: the type leafref (defined at ./ietf-interfaces@2014-05-08.yang:54) is converted to 'string' when part of a union
$ echo $?
$ confdc -c --fail-on-warnings -W YANG_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE_IN_UNION eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang
eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang:12: warning: the type leafref (defined at ./ietf-interfaces@2014-05-08.yang:54) is converted to 'string' when part of a union
$ echo $?
$ confdc -c --fail-on-warnings -w YANG_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE_IN_UNION eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang
$ echo $?
$

Thanks a lot for looking into this.

I have something like this,
../../cml/confd/kvm/Confd/bin/confdc -c --deviation eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.yang -o eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.fxs --verbose --fail-on-warnings -w YANG_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE_IN_UNION eci-bgp-l3vpn.yang

Do you see any issues with the above?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

There was one more place where this flag was needed.
Added it and now it works fine.

Thanks!

Good to hear! About the confdc command you quoted, it’s a bit weird in that you are compiling eci-bgp-l3vpn.yang but request that the fxs file should be called eci-bgp-l3vpn-dev.fxs. In principle you can call the fxs files whatever you want, but it gets confusing if they don’t match the .yang name - and in some cases you actually need to compile and load deviation modules “themselves”.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I could compile the earlier part without any issues but now I see something like this.

> kill old Confd process.... --stop
> connection refused (stop)
> Confd process starts.... --verbose
> Failed to load file /root/kvmpackage/Confd/etc/confd/eci-bgp-l3vpn-aug.fxs: Missing augment path /network-instances/network-instance/vrf-label in module ietf-network-instance, augmented from module eci-bgp-l3vpn-aug.
> Daemon died status=21
> connection refused (wait_phase0)
> DEBUG Failed to connect to ConfD: Connection refused
> confd_load: 279: maapi_connect(sock, addr, addrlen) failed: system call failed (24): Failed to connect to ConfD: Connection refused
> connection refused (start_phase2)

What does this failed to load mean?

Does this mean the eci-bgp-l3vpn-aug.fxs was not compiled properly?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Can you please answer my question?

Thanks,
Ramakrishnan

Hi, Take a look at the YANG RFC to get the details on how YANG augmentation statements work.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7950#section-7.17

That’s a possibility (for some value of “properly”), but since we don’t know what’s in your modules, it’s hard to say. Generally speaking, if module A augments /b:foo/b:bar in module B, when module A is compiled, the compiler will load module B and verify that the path /foo/bar actually exists there (and refers to an augmentable node, not e.g. a leaf or leaf-list). If you then at load time get an error saying that /foo/bar in module B can’t be found, it means that the compiled B.fxs doesn’t have that node.

One possible reason is that module B was changed and the bar node was removed, but module A was not compiled with the new version of module B. Another is that B wasn’t actually changed, but a module C that removes bar via deviate not-supported is used when compiling B, but not when compiling A. Looking at your specific case, there is no node called vrf-label in the current version of ietf-network-instance (at https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model-12). Perhaps it existed in an earlier version, and you still have that version in the path when compiling eci-bgp-l3vpn-aug, while ietf-network-instance.fxs was compiled from the current version?

By the way, posting a followup re-asking for an answer just a few hours after posting your question might be considered bad form in a forum like this, and is in any case not likely to get you an answer any sooner.